Finding your MAC addresses
The MAC address is an identifier. Each of your network interface (wired and wifi) has one, and they are necessary to connect a new device on our network.
How to find your MAC addresses ?
A MAC address is typically a string of six sets of two characters or digits separated by colons, (hexadecimal writing) such as "5A-FF-56-A2-AF-15" or "5A:FF:56:A2:AF:15". There is various ways to find it, depending on the Operating System you are using. Here is a list of the most common ones.
- Do the following key combination: Windows + R to open the “Execute” window.
- Type cmd then Enter to open the Command Shell.
- Type getmac -v, then Enter to get a list of the MAC addresses of your device.
- The MAC address is in the “Physical Address” column.
- The first line is usually the one of the wired network card with the second for the WiFi card.
- Open a terminal.
- Type ip link show then Enter to get a summary of the interfaces of the device.
- Search for the “eth”, “enp” or “eno” field (wired) or the “wlan”, “wlp” or “wlo” field (WiFi).
- Search then for the MAC address following the interface you want to use, just after the"link/ether" field.
Vous obtenez ainsi vos adresses MACs.
MAC OS X
Using the graphical interface:
- Select System Preferences from the Apple menu at the top left of your screen.
- Select Network from the System Preferences menu.
- Choose the interface you are willing to use, either WiFi or Ethernet, then click on the Advanced…
- Click on the Hardware button
- You’ve got your MAC address!
Using the terminal:
- Type terminal then Entrer in the search bar
- Type networksetup -listallhardwareports then Enter
You can get your MAC addresses in the “Ethernet Address” field
- Open the Settings app
- Search in the "About phone" section, then the "Status" section.
You can get your MAC addresses in the "Wi-Fi MAC Address" section.
PS4 and Xbox
- Go to the settings from your game console
- Scroll to the "Network" section
- Select "View Connection Status" on a PS4 or "Advanced Settings" for a Xbox
Your MAC address is displayed next to "MAC Address (LAN Cable)"